Chenope is a fairly early stage, 100% bootstrapped core technology start-up with locations in the San Francisco Bay Area, Edinburgh (Scotland) and Singapore. We already have meaningful revenue, and a partnership with a multi-billion dollar global company. Our CEO has previously been successful bootstrapping a software startup to a sustained 8-figure annual run rate, based on superior technology and sales execution. We do not intend to raise venture capital, which is a gigantic advantage given the current situation in the valley with the so-called unicorn meltdown. This also means that stock option grants to employees can be vastly more generous than could otherwise be the case.
We are currently looking for as many as 2-3 linguists / computational linguists. In this role, you will work on analysing textual data as part of a multi-faceted analysis whose goal is to predict the behaviour of organisations of varying types. Applications range from Human Capital Management, to Investor Intelligence and Countering Violent Extremism. The work is cutting-edge and highly varying in nature.
– Postgraduate degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics or a related field. Equivalent experience in the IC or military welcome. Additional research and/or training in semantics, pragmatics and corpus linguistics preferred.
– Experience in ontology development, grammar engineering, and the ability to abstract over language data.
– Proven ability to do original research in the field.
– Programming competence – you should at least feel comfortable in a scripting language.
– Familiarity with language processing tools – for English and other languages.
– Native or near-native fluency in more than one language preferred – we especially welcome applications from native French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, and Arabic speakers.
– Intellectual curiosity critical, especially a “nose” for investigation.
– Comfortable with performing both intellectually complex and mundane tasks as needed to advance the goals of the business; a certain amount of professional maturity is required in a bootstrap.
– Prior start-up experience preferred.
Even if you don’t have all the qualifications listed above, but you think that you have the potential for learning and development, you should still send us your application. We are growing, and we have long memories. While ideally the candidate will be in one of the three above locations, we will consider any candidate who has the right to work in any of the three above countries. At this juncture we do not sponsor visas other than for internship programs. However, we will pay to relocate the right person to one of our existing locations within several months of successful work at the company, preferably Edinburgh.