- For Mozilla Firefox users: http://goo.gl/1Hret
- For Google Chrome users:http://goo.gl/bt3jh
- For Safari users: http://goo.gl/xZaRH
In the following section I have in essence copied links as I find them myself or as I find lists of them online. Listing them here for your convenience. If you want to add any link, feel free to email me.
- Metaglossary: defining over 2 million terms, phrases and acronyms in English
- Lexicool.com: online bilingual and multilingual dictionaries, and a directory of 7500 dictionaries and glossaries
- OneLook Dictionary: Dictionary search
- Wordnik: meta-search for words, definitions and examples
- Memidex: meta-search dictionary/thesaurus and more
- BabelNet: both a multilingual encyclopedic dictionary, with lexicographic and encyclopedic coverage of terms in 50 languages, and an ontology which connects concepts and named entities in a very large network of semantic relations, made up of more than 9 million entries.
- Dante: lexical database for English
- Glosbe: the multilingual online dictionary: provides free dictionaries for almost every existing language and translation memory with 1 013 284 995 sentences included.
- ProfessorWord: this look-up tool provides the definition of almost any word that you don’t comprehend, and you don’t even have to leave the page! It’s your on-demand dictionary.
- OneLook: meta-searchdictionary
- QwickUp: meta-searchdictionary
- YourDictionary: meta-searchdictionary with examples
- WordNet: lexical database for English
- Soovle.com: term meta-search in all browsers
- IntelliWebSearch: This software allows to set 10 favourite databases (for example, Merriam-Webster, Wordreference, Eur-Lex, IATE, Glosbe…). You then highlight a term with the mouse anywhere in your PC (a Word document, a webpage…), and through the keyboard shortcut ALT+CTRL+B, it looks for that term in the databases you selected (ten at the same time!).
- DictionaryBoss Toolbar: offers convenient web search, homepage, and default search
- Term-minator: The toolbar features an innovative search function that allows to search at the same time Google and many other websites. Type a term in the search box, press Enter and in the next screen the general Google search is enhanced by a number of links to search the same term.
- Proz Toolbar: Tool bar access to KudoZ. Type a term into the KudoZ toolbar to instantly search KudoZ and other ProZ.com resources.
- Taus Search Widget: desktop application that allows you to search all data in TAUS Data’s repository directly from your desktop (You will need to register to use the TAUS Widget. Registration is free!)
- EuroTermBank Add-on for Microsoft Word: accesses over 2 million terminology entries in 27 European languages.
- Terminotix Toolbar: a free toolbar which allows users to launch queries directly from MS Word. It provides access to 13 databases available at the click of a mouse, directly from MS Word.
- WordWeb: can look up words in virtually any program with just one click: by holding down the Ctrl key and click on the word. When online, with one extra click it is also possible to search web references.
Concordancers (to download)
- AntConc: a unilingual freeware concordancer program for Windows, Mac and Linux. It was developed by Professor Laurence Anthony from the Centre for English Language Education in Science and Engineering at Waseda University in Japan.
- TextSTAT: a unilingual concordancer for text analysis. It produces word-frequency lists and concordances while producing a corpus with the submitted texts or webpages. TextSTAT can be downloaded online for free.
- TransSearch: a bilingual concordancer from Terminotix in which users can search in French, English or Spanish. It also displays the source term and its translation in context. Users receive a free five-day trial when they first register but must pay to access the tool afterwards.
- WordSmith Tools: provides a unilingual concordancer with a corpus analysis tool. It analyses texts and corpora to extract statistical information on words found in the texts and can process several file types. This program is available free of charge.
- KwickFinder: key word in context research tool for the Web is a freeunilingualconcordancer but registration is required to download it.
- TAUS Data: a cloud platform based on shared translation memories. It has 2130 language pairs in repository and 52,923,096,600 total number of words in repository.
- MyMemory: the world’s largest Translation Memory, 100% free. It has been created collecting TMs from the European Union, United Nations and aligning the best domain specific multilingual websites.
- Le Migou: an online unilingual ((Canadian) French) concordancer that allows a user to consult general and specialized language corpora which, for the most part, have been compiled by members of the OLST (Observatoire de linguistique Sens-Texte). Users must register, but access to Le Migou is free.
- Linguee: an online bilingual concordancer (English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Polish and Dutch) which gives a quick overview of the different translations for a term or phrase.
- Corpus of Web-Based Global English: GloWbE (pronounced like “globe”) is related to other large corpora including the 450 million-word Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA) and the 400 million-word Corpus of Historical American English (COHA).
- OPUS: a growing collection of translated texts from the web available through a multilingual search interface. OPUS is based on open source products and the corpus is also delivered as an open content package.
- TradooIT: an online bilingual concordancer (English, French, Spanish) offered by Logosoft that allows users to search for character strings in their context in a translation memory system or find terms in a term bank.
- WebCorp: a suite of tools which allows access to the World Wide Web as a corpus – a large collection of texts from which facts about the language can be extracted.
- WeBiText: an online bilingual concordancer available in 30 languages. This research prototype from Terminotix is provided to the public free of charge and for a limited time only.